Founder and Managing Partner of the law firm “D. Hopffer Almada & Associates, has been a Lawyer in Cape Verde since 1973, having more than 40 years of practice in law.
As a lawyer and legal consultant, he advised several national and international institutions and companies, he was a member of the government holding specific responsibilities in the area of legislation; as a deputy, he had direct and active intervention in the parliament legislative functions and was responsible and co-responsible for commissions and task groups in charge of preparing and drafting laws and other types of legal documents within the various subjects and sectors of activity.
Commercial and Corporate Law, Real Estate Law, Foreign Investment.
- Advice an important banking institution in Portugal, in the international tender for the privatization of the Cape Verdean financial institutions and the joint venture company promoting the tender, being the winner the Portuguese banking institution;
- He was a member of the Foreign Investment Advisory Service team of the World Bank Group, which, at the request of the Government of Cape Verde, prepared the study on the administrative barriers to investment in Cape Verde and proposals for its improvement;
- Advice in the preparation of legal documents for the revision of the Industrial Law in Cape Verde;
- Advice in the preparation of some legal documents for the revision and legislation about youth in Cape Verde;
- Advice in the preparation of some legal documents for the revision and regulation about the environment law in Cape Verde;
- Advice in the preparation of the Industrial Property Code Draft revision, for Cape Verde accession’ to the world trade organization (WTO);
- Advice in the preparation of the Copyright Code Draft revision for Cape Verde’ accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO);
- Led the team selected in 2008 to promote the review of the media sector law;
- Advice on the preparation of the statutes of the intellectual property institute of Cape Verde (IPICV);
- Advised an important investment company in its privatization process;
- Advice to a governmental entity in the process of evaluating the performance of the several businesses of an aviation company.
- Advice to a governmental entity in the Institutionalization of the Competent Authority for the fishery products and approval of the respective Statutes;
- Leads the team selected to elaborate the regulations of law concerning the phytosanitary zoos and sanitary legislation of the country.
Law degree at the School of Law of the University of Coimbra (Portugal 1973).
Portuguese, French, Spanish, Italian and English.